Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Hello, sleep? Are you out there?

I just ask for one night of sleep - just one good night of sleep. Please? Is that too much to ask?

Ironically, I've found as I "age" I do not need nearly the amount of sleep I used to. Up until about 6 months ago, if I didn't have my 8-9 hour beauty sleep I was a raging byotch the next day. Without my sleep I was useless, cranky and emotional. Now, I am seriously fine on 5-6 hours. However, that doesn't mean I don't miss my full nights of sleep.

My doctor prescribed Rozerem. I may have already mentioned that. I didn't like it. First of all, the warning label and side effects about scare the shit out of you, then come to find out I could take a Rozerem before running two miles and not even be phased. Lesson learned - Rozerem doesn't work for everyone.

Occasionally I will take a couple generic-brand Tylenol PM's. For a good night's sleep. Then, I find myself anxious for a few nights afterward that I don't sleep well unless I take my BFF's the TPM's....so I take them as seldom as possible.

I've found many different forms of meditation one of which I am particularly found of before bedtime - coloring mandalas. My mom got me a "World Mandalas" coloring book. Sounds interesting, right?  A Mandala is a geometric design (usually a circular design) which symbolizes the universe. Used chiefly in Buddhism and Hinduism to aid in meditation, I take my Crayola pack of colored pencils and color away. Helps me be "in the now" which settles my thoughts...mind...and even soul. Then, I can go to sleep peacefully and without anxiety.

Although I have to be honest, a Xanax sounds good too.

4 comments:

  1. Your coloring book reminds me of this trick. You might want to give it a try.
    http://makeitblog.com/2010/01/best-trick-to-fall-asleep/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to send you some great books too - to read right before bed. I lvoe the Mandalas too:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh Stacey thank you for that link! I love that trick/idea and a great new blog to read.

    MC - I have a bajillion books I want to read but usually if I read anything too "intense" I have weird dreams...so unless its puppies and babies and angels...it may not help. Love that you want to send me stuff though:) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some 59 percent of women between the ages of 35 and 55 won’t get much sleep in the 4- to 8-year period prior to menopause that’s generally referred to as perimenopause. In fact, researchers say that this group of women is more likely to experience insomnia than any other.

    ReplyDelete